Monday, March 31, 2008

3/31 Recap

As always, the worst thing you could do is look too much into any single day, particularly Opening Day.

Toronto/New York
Looks like God isn't a Yankees fan after all.

Kansas City/Detroit
Interesting game. Verlander pitched well, and left with the lead, but the pen lost it for him. This could be an intersting situation as the year developes. Leyland may ride the starters too long to avoid going to the pen. Guillen had a big game, expect big things out of the 6 spot for him. Miggy C hit a bomb, one of many he should hit. Inge will have limited AL Only value while Granderson is out, but not tons worse. For the Royals, Grudzielanek was 3/4. I'm a big fan. It always seems like he's on the wavier wire when you need him, and he is usually good for a .300 average. Always a sleeper. Plus he stole a base. German stole a base, so perhaps Pudge's arm is slipping. Verlander is also known to be tough on runners, so something to take note of. Gordon hit a bomb, I expect a good year, he's being drafted about where he should be this year. Gil Meche was solid, not spectacular, limiting the powerful Tigers to 3 runs over 6 innings, but the 4 walks to 5 K's are to be monitored. Once again, Opening Day, everyone gets a pass. Soria picked up the save. I expect him to finish over 30.

Tampa Bay/Baltimore
James Shields pitched very well, although his 2/3 K/BB ratio will only get better. The O's are pretty much a must-start against team. Crawford steal a base, so does Roberts (he's still in this league?) and Markakis. All are studs, although I still can't imagine Roberts sticking around all season. Adam Jones goes 0-3 with a strikeout. I really don't see huge things for him this year. Think Alex Gordon last year. Also, I wouldn't be scared by BJ Upton. He's hitting cleanup on a strong offensive team, last year was no fluke. Also notable is how much the Rays hate Jonny Gomes. Cliff Floyd and Eric Hinske got the nod over him. Gomes' potential is worlds better than either. Navarro is a nice sleeper at catcher as well, as he went 3-4. Jeremy Guthrie struggled, this could be a rough year for him.

Chicago/Cleveland
This was a wild one. Couple notable things. VMart hurts his hamstrang. I'm thinking DL stint for sure, no reason to push it now. Shoppach is a solid pickup for VMart owners. Get on it. CC stuggled, two bombs to Thome? The man can still hit, 30 bombs for him his year. CC had the K's still, so not all is lost. But really not a pretty start after given a 7-2 lead in the second. Gutierrez is one of my favorite sleepers this year too. 20-25 homers is possible, and a solid lineup around him. Alexei Ramirez 0-fers, which is too bad given that Quinten and Anderson are on the bench. He's going to have to produce quick to play. OCab steals a base, he's one of those guys I'm really high on this year. Buehrle was terrible and basically killed your pitching week. Don't panic yet, but don't expect Cy Young numbers like his opposing pitcher. The game was finished up by a typical Borowski save. Saves are saves, even if it involves bombs.

Texas/Seattle
I gotta say, I like the Rangers' lineup. Well, at least the front 2/3. Hamilton will have lots of value out of the 3 spot, he's much better suited there than at 2. Same with Kinsler. Bradley attempted a steal, he was caught, but that he's running is a good sign, he's a steal when healthy. Bedard was good, not his best, but nothing to complain about. The 4 BBs are spectacular and you can expect more innings out of most starts, the 106 pitches sent him to the showers early. He's not an inning eater, but he doesn't really need to be to produce. Kevin Millwood (?!?) had a very nice game, throwing 6 innings and no earned runs. He's worth a pickup in just about every league, but I wouldn't start him right away. Nice to see Broussard playing against a lefty, even if he is better suited to platoon. It's a good sign he's going to play this year, and in a weak 1B AL, he can surprise.

Twins/Angels
Well I just told my brother not to pick up Livan Hernandez after Beckett went down and said to get Dustin Mosley instead. Don't think his strong showing changes anything. Livan just can't live in the AL striking out 1 guy over 7 innings. Carlos Gomez certainly burst on the scene with two steals and even a little power with a double. I don't think he hits for any power this year, and much over .260 isn't likely, but he could swipe 50 bages. As much as I used to like Craig Monroe, he has no business starting over Jason Kubel against a righty. Kubel has huge sleeper potential and Monroe has huge strikeout potential versus righties. Jered Weaver was solid, but he ran into that stud Livan Hernandez at the wrong time.

No comments: