Tuesday, May 13, 2008

5/13 Recap

I went to the Cubs/Padres game today. It was Alfonso Soriano bobblehead night and of course he homered. There has to be statistics about how players do on their bobblehead nights, but it seems like they always do well. I would love it if people started players because it was their bobblehead night.

O's 5, Red Sox 4
Figures Luke Scott homers the week I don't start him. He hasn't shown much power this year while the average has been solid. He should hit for 20 some homers, and maybe this can get him going a little. Beckett got hit today, but there's no signs of anything bad happening with him. Jeremy Guthrie was solid again, and I'm continuing to regret cutting him. Coco Crisp got another start, and was 1-3 before being lifted with the flu. With Drew hurting and not playing that awesomely, I can see Ellsbury and Crisp getting some good time for the near future.

Indians 4, A's 0
This was a solid pitching duel, with Paul Byrd actually winning it. Byrd is looking like a decent candidate against the right teams this year. Justin Duchsherer is basically a must start at this point, assuming he's healthy. He's really been a stud. A couple of the slumping Indians are showing some signs of life, with Garko hitting his second homer of the year. He's been brutal, but I really thought he'd have a great year. I liked Hafner for where he was going in the draft, and even with his two hit effort today I'm not buying into him. And a day after Asdrubal Cabrera turned a triple play, he had two hits, pushing him over .200. All three will be better than they have been but my expectations for them have all been lowered.

Rays 2, Yankees 1
This Yankee team is not very impressive without ARod and Posada. Another good pitching matchup with Jekyll showing up tonight for Edwin Jackson. He can have these games, but he's just as likely to get shelled. Chien Ming Wang continues his great year as well. He didn't have as many Ks as he's been getting, but still a great start. Cliff Floyd was back in the lineup and had two hits, taking Gabe Gross out of the lineup. Floyd has had a pretty solid year, he's worth looking at if he can stay healthy at all. Quietly Jason Giambi is approaching .200. I don't see great things out of him. Who would guess in mid-May that Giambi had a higher average than Robby Cano?

Rangers 5, M's 2
Felix Hernandez really hasn't been that awesome this year, and he walked 5 batters over 6. I still like him a lot, but I don't think this is his breakout year. Kason Gabbard is interseting. He hasn't proven to be very durable yet, but when he's pitched, the results have been good. Watch him. Eddie Guardado picked up a save with CJ Wilson sucking/throwing a lot of pitches the night before. It's still Wilson's job, but interesting that Guardado could be next in line. After an encouraging night for the two M's rookies, they combing to go 0-3 with Balentien striking out 3 times. It'll happen. Ramon Vazquez has become an option, but reports are that Hank Blalock could return as soon as this weekend, making him basically worthless.

Royals 3, Tigers 2
Zach Grienke pitched well again, although not with the strikeouts, but now sports a sub-2 ERA. Nate Robertson had his best outing as well, and he gave up 10 hits. The Tigers are still in trouble especially since Miguel Cabrera has been a huge bust and Gary Sheffield is hurting. Matt Joyce is becoming an option. It's pretty clear he's going to get a good chunk of play time, and he already had two homers. You should feel safe adding him.

Blue Jays 5, Twins 3
Looks like the Jays are going to use Brad Wilkerson in the leadoff spot, for whatever that's worth. He's not going to hit for a high average, but leading off should only help him. I'd really like to see Kevin Mench in there, but it looks like he's only going to start against lefties. Jesse Litsch has been surprising, but nothing I'm too excited about. Kevin Slowey struck out 5 in 5.2, which is something to take away from the start. He's not a great option the rest the way, but he will do better. Jason Kubel hit a pinch hit homer, his 5th. I like Kubel a lot, and maybe he can get going again. They'd be a better team with him in against righties and leaving Monroe for lefties. Carlos Gomez hit his 3rd homer. He's surprised me a lot this year. I wouldn't think about moving him yet either.

Angels 2, White Sox 0
And one more good pitching duel to close it out. John Danks looks awful good this year, he's for real. Jered Weaver has been all over the place, but he's still a great 2. I'd see if I couldn't get Weaver on a discount. Mike Napoli was hitting 6, which is interesting. He's shown a ton of pop, and if he can get regular play time, 20-25 homers is well within reach. Plus he stole his second base. Joe Crede has been hot again, but he's very streaky. I still don't think he goes anywhere this year. KRod is up to his 16th save already, and has looked a lot better of late. I'm not worried about him anymore.

No comments: