Monday, May 19, 2008

5/19 Recap

So after the long post yesterday, there's only three games in the AL. Of course Jon Lester throws a no-hitter in one of them. I'm sorta surprised, I'm not a huge Lester fan, but he has good stuff. I think it's pretty safe to say he's in the rotation the rest of the year. Clay Buchholz, however, will have his future decided on Wednesday with Bartolo Colon going. I have a feeling Buchholz is going to head to the minors after the DL stint. Jon Lester is a strong option the rest of the year, and now is a good sell high time as any.

Still no word on the power cord. This could be a fun game.

Red Sox 7, Royals 0
After Ellsbury got caught stealing for the first time, he goes out and steals two more bases. So it looks like he's not going to stop running or anything. Jason Varitek hit his 5th homer of the year, and he's all the way up to .290. I don't think that average is going to stay, so sell high. He's going to be an option all year though just hitting in that lineup. Dustin Pedroia quietly has 6 stolen bases as well. He's a stud, especially hitting 2. Luke Horchevar was not sharp tonight, walking 6 in 6 innings, striking out two. He's going to be a spot starter at best this year, I'm not sold.

Twins 7, Rangers 6
CJ Wilson blew the save again, he's not been sharp. The Eddie Guardado watch is on. He might be worth stashing at this point. Boof Bonser continues to look good, walking no batters again. He's a strong play the rest the way. Scott Feldman isn't. Josh Hamilton hit his 11th homer. He's really an amazing story that will never get old. And right now, he's the best player in the American League. Big Frankie Catalanatto started at 1B and picked up three hits. Not much to like there, especially with Hank Blalock coming back as a 1B. Alexi Casilla homered from the leadoff spot. From a fantasy perspective, he's the best option for the revolving door of middle infielders they throw out there. If he starts getting regular play time, the steals will make him worth a grab. Jason Kubel had two hits as well. I'm not giving up on him yet.

Rays 7, A's 6
Not very impressive starts from Blanton or Shields. But Frank Thomas could be busting out in a big way. Two homers, going 3-4 with 3 RBI. Expect more of that. He's hitting over .300 since joining the A's, to no one's surprise. Kurt Suzuki has completely fallen apart this month, and he was probably in over his head hitting .280 in April. I'm not a huge fan. If Ryan Sweeny could show some power, he'd be an interesting guy this year. But it hasn't happened yet. Evan Longoria had his best game, going 3-6 with a homer, his 5th. He's showing the power, and the average will come up some, but he won't be a dominant force this year. I really like Eric Hinkse as well. He now has 8 homers and a regular spot in the lineup. He should be owned in every league.

No comments: