Tuesday, May 20, 2008

5/20 Recap

So I went to the White Sox/Indians game tonight, mostly to watch CC Sabathia. I have a bad history of watching my pitchers, and today, even though his final line looks pretty good, I felt nervous the whole time. He wasn't nearly as dominant as the boxscore makes it seem, but stats are stats. I don't see him slowing down anytime soon. Anyways, a couple other things of note from the game. I cound a code online that got me tickets for half off. I bought an $8.50 seat and moved behind the plate in the upper deck, my favorite spot to watch a game. Not many people there tonight, so it was pretty easy to do. Plus they won't let you into the lower deck with an upper deck ticket, not the best message to the middle class fan (which most Sox fans are.) I ordered my ticket to be at will call, and when I got to the game, they had automated self serve will call pickup stations, so I went for it. It printed me out a ticket which looked more like a lottery ticket than a baseball ticket. For someone who collects tickets like me, it was a bummer. But then again, I miss the days when tickets were ripped, so I'm old school in that sense. Anyways, on to the games.

Red Sox 2, Royals 1
Jason Masterson and Gil Meche were both impressive. Masterson is going down to the minors tomorrow for Colon (supposedly), so he has no real fantasy value, but he's someone to keep an eye on. Depending on how Colon fares, he could start a couple more games and put up some decent numbers, but banking on anything isn't a good idea. The Red Sox have lots of pitching depth, and remember Curt Schilling is still hoping to come back. Gil Meche has quietly been much better of late, and is worth starting again. That 5.58 ERA doesn't look so hot, so maybe he can be had cheap. He's a nice option from here on out. Coco Crisp lead off and doubled in a run. He keeps getting more play time than I'd ever expect. Julio Lugo had the other RBI, but people seem to think he's in jeopardy of losing his job as the season continues. It could happen, so monitor Jed Lowrie. Alex Gordon had three hits, two of them doubles. He's hitting .293. It's amazing how much more hype people get as rookies than as second year players. He's a great option from here on out.

Tigers 12, M's 8
This was a really encouraging start from Justin Verlander. Seven Ks, only one walk and four hits. I believe him him this year, it's more of a mechanical problem it seems. However, the Tiger's pen made it a game. That's scary, and it doesn't look like they're getting better anytime soon. Edgar Renteria homered and tripled. He's been brutal of late but a great option this year. MiggyC had three hits, and Maggs, Granderson, and Guillen homered as well. Granderson has also been brutal, this lineup shouldn't be bad. They just seem to go on streaks. When you don't draw many walks, that happens though. Carlos Silva was shelled, and it'll happen to him. Adrian Beltre hit his 9th homer. That average isn't going to get too high, but the power is real. Ichiro had three hits and stole his 21st base. Big year on the way for him.

O's 12, Yankees 2
The good Daniel Cabrera showed up again. I won't say he's turned any corner or anything like that, but he's not a terrible option at all this year. Mike Mussina got absolutely destroyed, and he's probably been pitching over his head anyways. He's still going to be a decent pitcher this year. Adam Jones was 4-5 with 4 RBI. Not a great option this year, he's going to be worth it next, but still worth using. Luke Scott continues to show some power, hitting his 4th. I love him as a buy low. ARod was back and homered, there's nothing to worry about with him. I haven't heard much about Posada lately and they could really use him. It's possible this Yankee team is kinda bad. Derek Jeter left with an injury, but it sounds like he's going to be fine.

Angels 3, Jays 1
John Lackey is still dominant. He's going to put up ace numbers as long as he's healthy. Dustin McGowan is very overrated, he's not a stud every time out. The walks have been a problem for him, but his a solid two or three for a staff. He's just overrated. Brad Wilkerson homered and walked twice, but I really wonder how much longer that whole experiment will last. Gagry Matthews had a hit, which is progress. I'm not a fan. But he's going to keep playing with that huge contract. Mike Napoli had three plate appearances and walked three times. I'm really big on him.

Twins 11, Rangers 4
Glen Perkins has been a nice story this year. He's struck out 12 and walked only two over 18 innings this year, while posting a 3.44 ERA. How long he's in the rotation will be interesting with Scott Baker set to return soon. If it sounds like he's going to stick for a decent amount of time, he's worth a pickup. Alexi Casilla was 2-4 with 2 RBI. I'm really following him closely, and if I think he's going to play at all, I'm jumping at him. It looks like he will. Too bad my bench is filled with DL guys or I'd have him already. Delmon Young tripled, although there's not much power out of him so far this year. I'm really down on him.

White Sox 4, Indians 1
I believe in Jose Contreras now. He looked pretty sharp, and I wouldn't feel bad starting him. I don't know if he can keep this up all year, but for now, he's fine. Carlos Quentin hit a huge bomb to center, he's legit. Maybe not 40 homers legit, but I can see 30. Jim Thome also homered, and I'm definitely a believer. That average should come up too. Victor Martinez is an interesting case. I'm not really sure why he doesn't have any homers yet. Frustrated owners might try to dump him, and it would be wise to jump on him. People desperate for Ks might want to look at Octavio Dotel, who has the highest K/9 in the game. That's about the only thing he's providing now though.

Rays 3, A's 2
This one was a heartbreaker for me. My boy Greg Smith entered the 8th with a shutout, gave up and walk and a hit, and Joey Devine came on to strike out the first two guys he faced. Then Emil Brown made a sliding attempt that allowed both runs to score, and made it so Smith couldn't get the win. He hasn't had any sort of run support of late. Scott Kazmir looks like he's in midseason form already, you should use him if you haven't already. Frank Thomas homered again, and when he start to heat up, he really heats up. This will still end up a typical Thomas year, .260 25 homers. BJ Upton stole another base, putting him up to 11. He's been sort of a dissapointment though, with only three homers. I think he's more of a steals threat that power, but he should still get to 20 homers, maybe steal 30-40 bases if he really wanted. When he loses 2B eligibility next year, his value will take a definite hit.

No comments: