Tuesday, May 6, 2008

5/6 Recap

There's a couple things. First off, I haven't posted this weekend, and I apologize about that. I took a little trip and I didn't have my computer with me and I don't believe in paying for internet access. I think that's a pretty solid principle, especially when it's like $30 a day. And secondly, there have only been two times in my life when I was all set to go to a game, planned everything around it, told people I was going to the game, and then didn't. The first time was last year when the White Sox were playing the Rangers. I decided I'd just go the next day (I don't remember why.) But I do remember that Mark Buehrle threw a no-hitter that day. I was devestated. Well tonight I was all set to go to the White Sox game as well. I thought about it, and I had a lot of catching up to do, and they were playing the Twins. And no offense to Twins fans, but I've seen the Twins so many times over the years that the chance to see them again didn't really appeal. So Gavin Floyd goes out and takes a no-hitter into the 9th and mercifully gives up a hit to Joe Mauer. Needless to say, I was pretty pumped.

Red Sox 5, Tigers 0
Well the Tigers' lineup switches don't seem to be doing too well. I still think that Sheffield is basically done, and sticking him in left is a pretty big panic move. I just don't see this ending well. Barry Bonds looks awful good right now. Matt Joyce got the call, and will see some time. I don't expect much from him. Brandon Inge should also get some solid time at 3B, but he's returning to his old ways of low average with some pop. I can't see him being that great unless he gets catcher eligibility. Tim Wakefield looked sharp. By now you know what to expect out of Wakefield, and that's that expecting anything is a bad idea. He's going to get wins, but his other numbers won't be outstanding. Nate Robertson has been pretty bad this year. He's usually a pretty decent 4 or 5 starter, but this year he really hasn't been worth using. David Ortiz has been hot lately, although his knee is still a source of concern. If he can get his average up a little more, you might want to consider selling on him.

Indians 5, Yankees 3
I really don't know what's going on with Fausto Carmona. He has a 15:31 K:BB ratio. That is terrible. Yet his ERA is still 2.95. Here's a chance where you might be able to hype the ERA and dump him off on somone. There's something wrong with him. He won't be able to keep this up with no control. You know there's something wrong when he's giving up doubles to Jason Giambi. Travis Hafner was bumped down in the order, and I'm not convinced he's going to be any better than last year, if he's even that good. Hideki Matsui is having a great year, as he goes 3-3 to bump his average to .342. The power is still there too. He's definitely not a sexy player, but he's having a great year. Buy on Cano. He's been awful, but he's slowly showing signs of coming back. Get on this quick.

Rays 5, Jays 4
Andy Sonnanstine put together the type of start I typical expect of him. He's far from consistent and it's going to stay that way. AJ Burnett strucked out 10, walked 1, and gave up 5 ER over 6 innings. It's one of those strange days when he was hittable but dominant. Go figure. I like him the rest of the year. I'm buying into Eric Hinske. I want to try to trade for him, especially given his 1B and OF qualifications. 20-25 homers and a .270 average seem within reason. I can see him getting bumped up to 5 in the lineup too, so there will be plenty of RBI chances. Given that Gabe Gross is going to get get pretty significant play time it appears, he should be on the radar. He's slowly coming around.

Angels 5, Royals 3
I'm surprised that Nick Ardenhart got hit so hard for a second time, especially against the Royals. He's clearly not using, but keeper leagues shouldn't be worrying, he's going to be a stud. Brian Bannister gave up 13 (!) hits, 5 ER, with 3 Ks over 6.2. He's been very hittable this year, and it was bound to catch up to him. I still think he can be a valuable 4 starter or spot starter, but anything more than that was crazy talk. Brandon Wood has been up, and actually playing a little, but there's not a lot to like from him this year. There won't be room for him when Chone and Kendrick get back. I don't see him ever hitting for a high average in the Majors, but the power will be there. Miguel Olivo remains an interesting option and he's always been thought of as a solid offensive prospect. It looks like he's going to get some good looks, so this is somewhat of a make or break year for him.

White Sox 7, Twins 1
Gavin Floyd has flirted twice with no-hitters and now sports a 2.50 ERA. It should be clear he's going to have a good year, but not this good. This can really be a buy or a sell depening on the team. He has 19 Ks to 18 BBs, so just be aware of it. I'd probably sell high. Nick Blackburn is looking like a solid 4 starter. He won't give you a ton of strikeouts, but he's solid all around. Jermain Dye has been pretty unimpressive this year, but I think he's still going to be good for 25 homer and a .260 average. Rumors are that Juan Uribe could be dropped soon, and while I wouldn't be shocked, I don't think any of the alternatives are great either. He was 2-4, so maybe the rumors are waking him up a little. Carlos Quentin continues to rake, and now in the 2 spot he has even more value. Nick Swisher should also respond by moving to the 6 spot, but now he's hitting under the Mendoza Line. It won't last.

A's 4, O's 2
Justin Duchscherer continues to excell as a starter, throwing 7 innings of 2 run ball, while striking out 4. He definitely has the stuff to suceed, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he had a sub-4 ERA with 12 wins and decent amount of Ks. His problem is going to be the innings he can pitch and his health, so really he could be a sell high guy. Santiago Castilla, who has become the dominant middle reliever this year, picked up the save with Street unavailable. I wouldn't be surprised if Street was dealt and Castilla closed. He's probably owned in most leauges anyways. Brian Burres hasm't sold me yet, and a mediocre start like tonight isn't going to help, but hes servicable. Jack Cust is all the way up to .250 after a brutal start. He's very streaky, so ride this one out. Frank Thomas is up to .212 as well, and he's going to keep raising that average. Emil Brown is now up to 28 RBI. That's sick. Sell on him, although I'm thinkning it's not completely crazy to think he could get to 100. Nothing spectacular going on with the O's. They should fall back to earth pretty fast.

Rangers 10, M's 1
The Rangers sure seem to love scoring runs in bunches. Sir Sidney Ponson was dominant again. Do not pick him up by any means. Miguel Batista struggled pretty badly, and his good start every now and then shouldn't fool anyone. Ramon Vazquez has exceeded my expectations, he's an option at 3b. David Murphy is going to get pretty regular at bats it seems, and should be picked up. Especailly if he's hitting behind Josh Hamilton and Milton Bradley, which he could until Hank Blalock is back. Wladamir Balentien has done much better than Jeff Clement so far, although Balentien is the streakier one. Over the long haul, I definitely like Clement more. Now it he would start start hitting. I don't think this is the year for Salty either, especially with the split time. Frankie Catalanotto started at 1b instead of Ben Broussard. Broussard has been terrible, and I could see him getting cut. He's really worth a spot on someone's bench, I really thought he would suceed in Texas.

No comments: