I just don't get how Dustin McGowan gets so much attention while no one ever talks about Shaun Marcum. Marcum is a top 10 pitcher in the AL. He's awesome. But somehow he just doesn't get love from the experts. He shouldn't be a secret in AL leagues, but man, he's a stud. After the 6.2 inninga of 2 hit, 9 K shutout ball, I think everyone is going to start taking notice. Hopefully you got him already, and if not, he's a real strong bet for this year. I'd take him over AJ Burnett, especially considering the value you'd have to pay for each.
Red Sox 7, Rays 3
Ellsbury is back and off running. Good signs there. Clay Buchholz looks like the real deal. I think he's just going to get better too. Edwin Jackson is another one of those DCab guys that you just don't know what to expect from him. Sure, the Red Sox is a terrible matchup, but I just don't believe in him at all. Josh Hammel got bumped to the pen, which isn't that surprising. Frankly, I like him more than Jackson this year. Carlos Pena had two more hits. This is a great buy low time, he's going to be fine. He's not going to approach .300, but the power will be there and he will help you with the other power numbers. Evan Longoria hasn't been hot lately, and his average has fallen to .238. He's going to go through these adjustment periods, there's nothing to worry about.
Yankees 5, M's 1
This was a solid pitching matchup, although the M's had 4 errors. Chien Ming Wang left the game with a hand cramp, but he should be fine for his next start. I'm picking him for the Cy Young this year. The Ks are up and I think it lasts. Eric Bedard had another good start, and he's going to be a stud as long as he's healthy. Another encouraging sign is that Ichiro stole three bases. He's just heating up. Clement and Balentien have struggled, but they're going to get a chance to prove themselves. I hope. I think the M's are terribly run, so you never know. The more I think about it, the more I'm torn on whether Joba gets moved into the rotation or not.
Jays 2, White Sox 0
Marcum was the star, but Mark Buehrle threw a gem too. He's all over the place. At this point, he's nothing more than a matchup starter. Orlando Cabrera had two hits, and I'm a big fan this year, buy low if possible at all. Scott Downs picked up his second save because Ryan was used the day before. I think he's pretty much the clear choice for saves, especially with how Accardo has performed. Vernon Wells is interesting. He was hot, and then he fell off. I think I'll buy into him, but not at full value. He's worth the risk. Adam Lind continues to struggle big time. If they can wait on him and give him at bats, he's going to turn it around.
Twins 11, Tigers 1
Armando Galarraga pitched another solid game. I can't imagine he wouldn't be sent down when Willis return (and he had a solid first appearance in the minors by the way), but he's worth starting until then. Willis will probably have two more rehab appearances. Stay away from Livan Hernandez. Today is just the day of flukey pitchers i guess. Carlos Gomez got hit in the head by a Pudge throw while he was trying to steal second and had to leave the game. That's one way to sto the running game. He should be back by the end of the weekend. Adam Everett is back, but you shouldn't own a Twins shortstop. Mike Cuddyer has looked good in his return and doubled twice. It'll be interesting to see if he can keep the power up.
O's 4, Angels 3
Jeremy Guthrie picked up his first win of the year. Looks like I was wrong on him, he could have a decent year. George Sherrill picked up his 11th save of the year, but he gave up a run. It shouldn't matter as long as he keeps getting those saves. That almost 5 ERA should keep coming down too. I'm not really sure why Nick Markakis was in the second spot in the lineup, but he delivered with his 5th homer. Finally, Reggie Willis is up and started in Left over Mathews. Frankly, Willits is a better player, but I don't see him getting much time with the team. They really need to trade him, he could be a very productive leadoff hitter. If it looks like he's going to start getting time, he's a definite grab.
Rangers 4, A's 3
Joe Blanton turned in a solid effort, and so did Vincente Padilla. Padilla is intereting. He's thrown some good games this year, but I really can't see him doing this the whole year. I'd still stay away. Jack Cust is hot, he homered. He's very streaky, so I expect this to continue. Milton Bradley has put together a pretty terrific year so far. He's always had the talent, it's just the health and the crazy factor. Boggs has been raking as well since he was called up. If he keeps it up, there's no reason to think he won't keep starting.
Saturday, May 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment