I'm a little late on the post since I spent last night and this afternoon in the rain at the White Sox/Tigers series. After seeing Dontrelle Willis in person, he looked like one of the worst pitchers I've ever seen. At any level. He was mercifully injured with a hyperextended knee, and the Tigers' pen managed to hang on to win. I figure they'll take their time with him coming of the DL. They have to be preying there's something else wrong with him, because he is terrible. Jose Contreras wasn't too bad either, but he's nothing to get excited about, and I don't think I'd ever have him on my team. More on the game later. A side note, when you own the worst hitter and worst pitcher in the league, you aren't going to be good. Especially if they were you're first two picks. But it's my reality.
Yankees 4, Red Sox 1
Both Wang and Buccholz were pretty good, with Wang putting in one of the best starts of the year giving up only 2 hits (one a JD Drew resurgence bomb), while walking none. This will be his best start of the year. He may K more, but as far as dominance, I don't think he'll come close to matching it. Jason Giambi finally did something, hetting a solo shot in the 7th. They're still a better team with him on the bench. Not much to say about the Sox, other than David Ortiz is the worst player in baseball and JD Drew is carrying the team. Yikes. Ortiz looks lost at the plate. He could easily hit .100 next week (a slight improvement sadly) or he could hit 5 bombs. He just doesn't look confident. I'm going to see what I can do to avoid starting him next week, but I don't know if I could honestly think that was the best move.
A's 9, Indians 7
Sabathia has been god awful this year. I'm not starting him next week if I can find a reasonable other matchup. He's striking people out and his velocity is there, but he's been extremely hitable. I don't think this lasts, and I'd avoid a panic dump, but another awful start and his value falls a ton. I keep reading about the contract situation, but I've never bought into that kind of contract related business. In an odd way, this might actually help get him an extension if the Tribe thinks that he's distracted by it. Blanton wasn't that impressive either, but he's not an ace like Sabathia is/was. Bobby Crosby, very quietly, has been a stud this year. He's hitting .326 after the 3-3 day. He's had talent (and a Peter Gammons MVP prediction) so it's not entirely surprising he's doing well, but I would have never expected it. Enjoy the ride Crosby owners, I have no idea how it will end, but a .280 20 homer season would have to be considered a huge success.
Rays 10, O's 5
Jeremy Guthrie was impressive after I dumped him, which is pretty typical. I don't hate him this year, but he's not going to win games or have great Ks or WHIP. An ERA of 4 is about the best you can expect. Not terrible, but I like guys with more upside. Shields was hurt by a Bartlett error that caused three unearned runs to score, but otherwise his numbers were right in line. I think and doubts of Carlos Pena's power should be put to rest, although feel free to doubt his average potential. He could easily hit .240. I figure he ends with a .260 average, 40 homers. Hinske plays third again, so he could soon be an option there. Nathan Haynes was in the lineup at went 2-5 with an SB. Not much offensive potential, but he could swipe some bags. He already has 3 on the year. Pick him up if you need some cheap steals (like me).
Jays 8, Rangers 5
Someone needs to tell Jesse Litsch he's awful. He puts in another strong start. I still wouldn't grab him. Vincente Padilla is back to normal, so everybody calm down. Josh Hamlton has 11 RBI now after hitting his second homer. Love him this year. Hank Blalock hit his first homer so that should ease up any concerns, although it looks like he's going to be in the 5 slot for the foreseeable future. Vernon Wells is on a tear, he's for real. Scott Downs picked up the save. Nothing to look into here (I think) because Accardo has been heavily used lately. It sounds like it's still his job, just a day off. When Ryan comes back in a week or so, I expect him to pick up just about every non-back-to-back saves and eventually those too.
Twins 5, Royals 0
Look, this is getting stupid. Livan Hernandez threw 7 shutout innings, walking one, with 3 Ks. I can't explain it. Add him if you want because it is completely illogical what he's doing. Just don't get upset when he gets destroyed. Gil Meche is frusterating me. He has really been shakey this year. 6 Ks in 6 innings is good, so is 5 hits, but 4 BBs isn't. He's sporting a Sabathia-esque 7.13 ERA, but I still strongly believe in him. Ross Gload has been overlooked in many leagues, and he's hitting .324 now. He can hit .290 with 15-20 homers. This Royals lineup really isn't terrible, especially with Gathright in it. Matt Tolbert is on fire. He's not anything to get excited about, his AAA numbers were .293 6 53 with 11 SBs over 417 ABs. He's hot, but he won't stay hot.
Tigers 5, White Sox 2
Cabrera hit the ball hard this game, which is encouraging. Before the game he said his leg was doing better, but it still looks like he's feeling it. Guillen left after straining his hammy running to first, I'm sure they'll be careful with him. Inge and Clete Thomas are startable in any league at this point. They both look great at the plate. I have a hunch Thomas might be given a shot to claim the leftfield job at some point this year, but I think it's almost for sure he's going down when Granderson comes back. Carlos Quentin has been real impressive to me. He hits everything hard and has played pretty good defense. I think that Owens has lost his job for now. I don't think he's going to get a chance to reclaim it without an injury, although he'll probably start against lefties.
M's 8, Angels 5
Mark Lowe finally gets a save, and it should be his job. I haven't heard any news suggesting a timetable for Putz, so it should be his for a while. KRod was also available for the game, although I still think there's a DL stint in the near future and Speier getting the save chances. Felix and Weaver got roughed up a little, but don't worry about either. Chone Figgins stole his 4th base, but also got caught for the 3rd time. Not great numbers at all, but nothing to get too concerned about. Raul Ibanez is so hot right now, hitting his 3rd and 4th homers of the year. I don't think I need to say how much I like him, just be ready to sit him if he gets cold. I think the M's have to be ready to pull the plug on Vidro pretty soon. Jeff Clement would make an interesting option there, and would have to be grabbed right away as a catcher.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment