Wednesday, April 9, 2008

4/9 Recap

Well Ryan Rowand-Smith entered the game in the 6th inning. I think I'm pretty much done chasing these M's saves. I'll grab Speier as soon as he clears waivers, who was cut right before the KRod trouble really started, and I'll probably just stick with him until Ryan returns. I'll probably drop David Ortiz for him.

Angels 9, Indians 5
Well Paul Byrd was pitching, so the Angels got the tape out today. Mike Napoli will give you power, and other than VMart, I'll boldly predict he will have the most home runs on the year. The average, however, isn't there yet. As long as you know what you're getting yourself into, you can't complain about being a Napoli owner. Moseley rebounded from being awful to mediocre. I still like him on the year. He has Texas next, I like it (although he's against Kevin Millwood, who I also like). Kelly Shoppach hit a homer with VMart out of the lineup, he should be the best catcher on the wire in most leagues. Speier enters to close out the game in a non save situation, so that's enough for me as I mentioned before. No word on how long KRod is out, other than the mysterious three days.

Tigers 7, Red Sox 2
Yes you read that right. Bonderman was solid, the 2/4 K/BB ratio is troubling, but this is progress. The Tiger's pen was sparkling to. Maybe their problem is just a Jason Grilli problem and not a pen problem. The Tigers lineup will obviously come around, but notable today is Marcus Thames in against the lefty Lester and hitting a two-run bomb. Although I don't think he's in line for full time play for at least a while, Jones hasn't looked very good, so it's possible. The Ortiz Watch is officially on as he goes 0-4 to drop his average to .091. Lester was poor, but I expect him to take his lumps this year but still have solid value. And remember that this Tiger lineup was supposed to be pretty good. No worries there.

A's 6, Blue Jays 3
A mysterious G. Smith started the game for the A's and actually pitched alright, although the 5/5 K/BB ratio isn't exciting. Dustin McGowan put in a typical solid DMac outing, 5 innings, 7 Ks. I like him, don't get me wrong, I just think the hype train ruined him a little bit. Huston Street still hasn't had a completely convincing shut down save, as he had a walk and a hit today. Saves are saves though. Speaking of shakey, Jeremy Accardo got destroyed again today. I'm not sure who's next in line for saves, but I'd guess Jason Frasor first because he has some experience. I think they'll stick with Accardo for a little longer, but perhaps Ryan will have a bigger role when he comes back right off the bat. Mark Ellis and Bobby Crosby combined to go 7-10 on the day. I like Ellis, he always seems underrated, while Crosby always seems overrated.

M's 7, Rays 1
Jarrod Washburn was great, 7 innings, 1 ER, 1 WHIP. The Ks aren't there, but they won't be. He's just very...average. In deep leagues, that can be a good thing. There's nothing wrong with a reliable guy to round out the rotation. Sonnanstine was mediocre, I'm not buying like a lot of people are. Jamie Burke has a pretty nice game behind the plate, but he shouldn't have any value, Johjima is one of the most reliable catchers in the game. Nice to see Jonny Gomes in the lineup with Floyd sidelined for a while with knee surgery. He should pick up most of the at bats, although in the past they've done everything they can to not play him. Hinske, Haynes, and Ruggiano should all see some play time too, but Gomes will be the only one with value.

Royals 4, Yankees 0
This is where I throughly dulve into my Zach Greinke man crush. I was having a discussion with a friend about whether or not Zach Grienke was a must start every week. I said definitely yes. He agreed. Joe Girardi continues what is the showoffy manager move of the year by bumping his starter Ian Kennedy to later in the game because of the poor weather. Didn't reallly work. Kennedy is just not looking good so far, I could see a move after another poor start. Jimmy Gobble gets the save, but don't look into it as Soria has been pitching a lot lately. Joey Gathright steals another base. I wish I could say he'd be getting regluar play time, because then I'd go ahead and crown him the stolen base king, but I don't see him playing once DeJesus is back, which is really too bad.

Twins 12, White Sox 5
Regular(s) at AL Only Roto know that I've been hyping Jason Kubel all year. Well today he hits a grand slam and ends up with 6 RBIs on the day. See what you were missing Twins? It should go without saying he needs to be owned in every league. Scott Baker is another one of my sleepers, and he put together a nice gave. Over 5 innings, a 7/1 K/BB walk ratio is great. He can rack up the K's over the year. The Sox have been surpringly good this year, but the back of their rotation is a problem. Case in point: John Danks. Nick Masset, who would have been next in line for a start potentially, also got rocked. Lance Broadway should have a role on this team by midseason.

No comments: