Sunday, April 20, 2008

4/19 Recap

Since I'm a little late getting this up, I can talk about the Frank Thomas situation. Ridiculous. What are the Jays thinking? He had a slow start, but will still hit 25 homers with an on base percentage around .380. I guess the vesting option must have been really too much. But they have pleny of options. Matt Stairs could easily hit 20 homers given play time. I also expect Adam Lind to get called up and see some long looks finally. This is essentially make it or break it for him, so I expect him to deliever. I'm thinking .270 20 homers from him, but that's basically Stairs numbers. So it'll be intersting and worth monitoring. I grabbed Lind already. As for Thomas, it shouldn't take him long to be picked up by a team. The Rays seem to be the popular pick, but I'm thinking the Mariners could use him more. Either way, don't drop Thomas.

Jays 3, Tigers 2
DMac was solid, even without striking people out. BJ Ryan was scary again, but the three Ks are a great sign. Start him, but know there's going to be rough patches. Bonderman might have made his best start of the year and walked 6 batters. Not looking too great for him. I wouldn't completely give up on him, but if you can sell for anything with him, you might want to. Think Ervin Santana, more on him in a minute. Stairs is worth owning if he somehow isn't. Taking a look at Shannon Stewart isn't a terrible idea either. He can have value, but the upside is limited. Clete Thomas will pretty much for sure go down to AAA, so feel free to drop when Granderson gets back.

Twins 3, Indians 0
Nate Blackburn pitched a pretty great game, the lack of Ks is concerning, but it looks like he doesn't need them to get by. He should be owned, but could turn into a sell high guy if the Ks don't come back. Westbrook continues to be solid, and should be. I think the Indians are slowly waking up, with Gutierrez and Blake coming to life a little. I live both of them this year still. VMart threw two guys out, which has to be a record of some sort.

A's 6, Royals 5
Grienke gave up a run, so it was a bad start for him. He struck out 6 in 5 innings, which is encouraging, I think he's more of a strikeout pitcher than most do. Greg Smoth is offically worth picking up with another solid outing. Jose Guillen came to life finally. He's going to be fin, expect the usual .270 with 20 homers. Miguel Olivo is probably worth getting now too, nice value at catcher. Ryan Sweeney continues to be hot, so might as well get him too. Take a look at Emil Brown if you're desperate. He's been solid in the past, just not recently. Kurt Suzuki led off again, which is interesting. Owners have to be hoping he sticks there. Huston Street and KRod are battling to be the scariest good closer of the year. In a bad way. I don't like either this year.

O's 6, Yankees 0
Granted the Yankees were starting their B lineup which featured Posada at 1b and Enseberg at 3b. Whatever it takes to not play Giambi is fine with me. Ian Kennedy has been awful. Kennedy and Hughes are goin to force the Yankees to make a move the way they've been pitching. I really like both long term, but right now it's a disaster. Brian Burres pitched well, but I don't like him at all. Nice to see Ramon Hernandez hit something, going 2-3 with two doubles. I believe in him, although I might drop his projections to .260 15 bombs, still solid.

Red Sox 5, Rangers 3
Jason Jennings was solid, but stay away. Jon Lester gave up 10 hits in 6.1 innings, walking 2, so it wasn't really a very pretty start, but the 5 Ks are nice. He can still have solid value this year. Manny is awesome right now, it would be scary if him and Ortiz were both on. I don't think Manny is peaking now either, this could be a pretty great year out of him. Who'd think he'd play well when it's a contract year? Lugo started at short and had a hit. See if you can't steal him from someone worried about Lowrie. He's going to steal 30 bases. Jason Botts is an interesting guy. Great stats in the Minors, but never put it together in the Majors. Not worth a grab yet, but if Broussard sits more frequently, he will be.

Rays 5, White Sox 0
Andy Sonnanstine was awesome, giving up only 3 singles and a walk against the strong White Sox offense. I don't like him even though a lot of people do. I imagine he's been picked up after this start, but I'd be really careful using him. To the point where he'd never get off my bench. Buehrle has been pretty bad this year too, but you never really know what to expect out of him. Decent buy low guy. Pena had two hits in his return, so nothing to worry about. Jonny Gomes stole a base, which is too bad because the Rays will probably sign Frank Thomas now out of spite of Gomes.

Angels 4, M's 1
We'll I'm officially an Ervin Santana believer. He was dominant, and he's always had the stuff for it. See if you can get him from someone trying to sell high. He's for real. Also of note is Scott Shields picked up the save, so that ends the speculation there. It's not a bad idea to have him stashed away if possible. At this point I don't think there's any doubt Erick Aybar has the shortstop job, and probably for the year. I think everyone knows how good Juan Rivera is except the Angels, and every other team in baseball that hasn't traded for him. If it looks like he's going to get any sort of play time, pick him up immediately. And just saying, wouldn't this M's lineup look way better with Frank Thomas in it?

No comments: