Tuesday, April 8, 2008

4/8 Recap

In my never-ending search for a second reliever with BJ Ryan out, and desperate for saves, I dropped Santiago Castilla for Ryan Rowand-Smith. I really couldn't tell you if he's going to get another chance at saves, but seeing as how everyone else has been a complete disaster, and he was decent today, I don't see why not. If I can get a save or two out of him, that's all I'm asking.

Red Sox 5, Tigers 0
At this point, you have to consider starting whoever you got against the Tigers. They're a disaster. You still have to love the team's offense down the road, but for now they're completely lost. Dice K was solid, 6.2 shutout innings, 7 Ks. Kenny Rogers was not. He's going to be erratic, especially against good teams. Julio Lugo is 2-4, Coco Crisp 1-3, and JD Drew 1-3, three guys that Boston is down on, but they're doing alright. The Crisp/Ellsbury situation is no closer to being settled. It does appear that Dustin Pedroia has a lock on the leadoff spot, and that only helps his value. Ortiz is really struggling, not much to say there. If he's still struggling at the weeks end, I don't think I'll go with him next week.

Baltimore 8, Rangers 1
So I sing the praises of Aubrey Huff and Luke Scott and they tear it up again. I'm real big on them. They shouldn't be available in any leagues at this point. Biran Burres had a nice start, I'm not buying. Jason Jennings was awful, and I don't think he's going to have any value this year. Marlon Byrd still doesn't have a hit, get on that David Murphy bandwagon. Milton Bradley hit cleanup, switching spots with Hank Blalock. This doesn't really do much other than bump down Blalock and bump up Bradley ever so slightly. I wouldn't look too much into it either way. Gerland Laird goes 1-4. That's more like it.

Royals 5, Yankees 2
Phil Hughes walks 4 in 3 innings, not good. I don't see him dominating this year, but I would be happy to own him. Brian Bannister, however, is a great sleeper. Look at those 6 Ks. Definite buy. For the Yanks, Posada is behind the plate, gives up three stolen bases to Joey Gathright, leaves the game with shoulder problems. As a Posada owner, I'm slightly concerned. I don't know if they'll DL him or DH him. Losers would be Giambi I figure, with Matsui or Damon sliding over to 1B. That's probably better for the team anyways. Mark Tehan is a guy that not many people are talking about, but he's been solid so far. He had a great year two years ago, no reason he couldn't hit 20 homers. I just wouldn't bank on it. Also, ride the Gathright wave while it lasts. He's going to have to take DeJesus' spot for play time because I don't think Guillen, Tehan, or Butler are going anywhere. From a fantasy perspective, it would definitely be nice.

A's 9, Blue Jays 8
Rough starts from Gudin and Burnett. I like Burnett, not Gaudin. While Burnett did a good number on your pitching week, I wouldn't be too upset. Aaron Hill is 4-4 with his first bomb. I didn't like him much coming into the year, but he's definitely making himself known. Thomas homers again, and quietly Vernon Wells has 3 homers as well. All signs point to a strong bounce back year. He was falling pretty far in the drafts and it looks like he's going to pay off big. Accardo blows the save, nothing big thought. He's secure until Ryan is back. Street gets his first save, striking out one and walking one. I don't feel great about him. Watch Foulke if things get tough for Street. Jack Cust goes 0-5, lowering his average to .130. It's very possible he's going to lose play time soon, the A'd have plenty of other outfielders.

M's 6, Rays 5
Bedard picks up the win, but it wasn't pretty. I'm sweating a little if I'm a Bedard owner, I could see a DL stint soon. Still have to like him on the year. Matt Garza, however, gets shelled for the second straight time out, leaving with a radial nerve injury. Not a great sign. Jeff Niemann seems to be the logical choice, and in deep leagues he's worth grabbing, although how long he's going to be up probably depends on when Kazmir will return. Richie Sexson is 2-4 with RBI. He's a good bet this year. Ichiro, as predicted, is heating up, going 3-5. Jonny Gomes goes 0-3 after I've been talking him up. Looks like he's still strictly being platooned versus lefties, although he did swipe a base, which he can do if given the chance. I like him, but not if he's not playing full time like he should be. Pena hits a bomb, Upton steals two bases, they should be settling any doubts that the two Rays would fall after last year. Shawn Riggans hits a homer, but I don't think you can expect anything out of him special.

Indians 4, Angels 3
After some 9th inning heroics from the Angels the day before, the Indians strike today, as Travis Hafner hits a bomb off Justin Speier as he's one out away from picking up the save. Interesting they turned to Speier, and now I can't imagine he'll get the nod again. Still, grab Shields and Speier, but are owning anyways probably. Jake Westbrook continues to impress. He kept his pitch count down by not walking anyone, and he threw a complete game, giving up three runs, 2 of a Vlad homer. I'd hesitate to start him against the Red Sox Monday, but definitely agains the Twins on his next time out. Ervin Santana was solid again, maybe he's figured something out. He should be owned and feel free to start him against the Rangers next time out. I'm not crazy about him, but who knows, he has the stuff to be good. The usual suspects contributed for the Angels, except Erick Aybar. He's been splitting time with Macier Izturiz, but the Angels definitely want Aybar to excel. He has more fantasy upside, and could end up with 15 steals at the end of the year. I don't think he's going to offer much in the power department, but a decent average and some speed is about all you can hope for out of him. He's probably not worth owning yet.

No comments: