As I mentioned earlier, I went to the White Sox/Tigers game (I'll be going tomorrow too.) Today was pretty interesting. First, the weather was miserable, a steady rain along with the temperature in the low 40s. It was a terrible day to hit. And the way the Tigers have been hitting, it didn't take much to allow Gavin Floyd to take a no hitter to the final 5 outs. That's not to say he was bad, because he was pretty filthy. He's probably going to be a popular add tomorrow, and he's another one of those guys in the Edwin Jackson boat that's always been very highly touted but never delivered. Either way, he's worth the pickup. I'm thinking a 4.75 ERA 160 Ks 1.4 WHIP for him. Sheff was in the lineup (he looks pretty good in BP) but Guillen wasn't. There were literally puddles in the infield, so I'm sure they didn't want to push him. Tomorrow is more of the same weather, so expect him to sit too. Miggy C started at 1B for the firs time in his career and looked fine. Probably doesn't really help anything for now, but it's always nice to have as many options as possible.
White Sox 7, Tigers 0
Justin Verlander threw a gem. Reading the boxscore, it looks like he got shelled. He was dominant. He got completely screwed by the fact that Willis was yanked in the first yesterday and Leyland wanted to give them a rest. Verlander's pitch count was down, so it made sense, but he definitely started to lose it in the 8th and probably would have been replaced on most teams. This is the problem with owning Tigers pitchers. That said, if you can try to pry away Verlander from someone, go for it. He's fine. Would I trade CC for Verlander? You bet. AJ Pierzynski is riping the ball. I love him as a late option catcher. I imagine he stays hot for a little. Thome and Konerko have been really slow starting this year. Konerko was the same way last year. Here's another buy low guy if you can. Both will hit 30 homers.
Red Sox 4, Yankees 3
Beckett looked sharper today, and I figured it'll be another start or two before he's dominating. He's still a must-start. Mussina, who had been pretty impressive so far had a more normal Mussina start. Still not a terrible option. Maybe the only person worse than Jason Giambi is David Ortiz. I'm very nervously starting him next week, it might be better not to. Maybe Jacoby Ellsbury is getting started a little, as he lead off, going 2-3 with his first stolen base. He could be a team changer with his speed, he just needs the chance to play. It's a frusterating situation out there. Robby Cano has been really slow to start (again) but definitely don't panic with him. He did this last year and turned in an incredible second half.
A's 7, Indians 3
We've been noting Carmona's walk total, but today was purely Dontrellian. I'd be nervous about him, he needs the control to succeed since he doesn't strike out a ton. He keeps the ball on the ground, but being so hitable, some will slip though. Franklin Gutierrez is back in the lineup, the Indians are a lot stronger with him in there. Unfortunately Jason Michaels is not only still in the Majors, but starting for the Indians. Mike Sweeney looks to get regular play time the rest of the year, so he's an interesting option. Only a DH at this point but just a few years ago he would have been among the top 1Bs in the league. He could hit .280 20 homers. Worth a look.
Twins 2, Royals 0
Here is where you add Boof if he's somehow unavailable. He regressed last year, but it seemed like everything has come together for him this year. Jason Kubel hits his 3rd. I have a feeling Craig Monroe will be out of a job pretty soon. It goes without saying that you want Kubel. Tomko was respectable again, but the Ks aren't there, so he's going to get hit hard sooner or later.
O's 3, Rays 2
Don't get suckered into a good DCab start. I know it's tempting, but he's a disaster 75% of the time out. He got screwed out of a win, but he pitched well enough. Josh Hammel might have been better, but I'm not buying. Watch closely tomorrow the Jeff Niemann start though. Evan Longoria is up and goes 1-3 with an RBI. I'm thinking .260 20 bombs. Not bad at all. Pena is on fire, and he can go on tears. Enjoy it. Jonny Gomes doesn't start because he's been too productive, so the Longoria situation could actually effect him because Hinkse will move to DH or OF. Any chance to get him out of the lineup it seems Joe Madden will do it. Ramon Hernandez hit a homer, going 2-4. I like him, I might be the only one, but he's definitely in the top half of catchers.
Blue Jays 4, Rangers 1
Roy Halladay put together a great outing. He's capable of something special like this a couple times a year, but his lack of Ks has really hurt his stock in the fantasy world. I think he gets picked too high still, but as far as consistency goes, you have to love him. Nothing to get excited about with Luis Mendoza though. Instead of remarking on how amazing it is Joe Inglett was 3-4, we'll look at two outfielders that don't stat that often but contribute still. Matt Stairs was 3-5 while Marlon Byrd was 2-4. I definitely like Stairs more, it's possible he hits 20 homers this year, pencil him in for 15. He qualifies at 1B too, so he has some nice flexibility, espeically with the lack of depth at first. Byrd was the subject of trade rumors all offseason, and now it seems like David Murphy has replaced him. Last year seems like it was a fluke, and I don't see him playing nearly as much. It would be foolish to expect more than .260 7 40 from him.
M's 8, Angels 3
Yuck. It's hard to get excited about two pitchers that combine to go 13 IP, 23 H, and 0 K. Really. those we're the combined lines from Garland and Silva. I definitely value Ks a lot in fantasy, but there's always room for guys like Garland and Silva. If you have enough Ks elsewhere, they can round out the end of you're rotation. Raul Ibanez is so hot right now he could take a crap, wrap it in tinfoil, put a couple fish hooks on it and sell it to Queen Elizabeth as earrings. Casry Kotchman quietly has 3 homers and is hitting .333. I don't know what to think about him. He could be a steal, but he's one of those guys I avoided on draft day. Nice to see Erik Aybar up to .280 and stole another base. Here's a sleeper for you to watch. I love getting speed out of weak offensive positions, he could supply it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment