Today's game was awful. Rogers was knocked around, and the Tigers pen sucked again. Javy Vazquez, who I love and wanted but I missed in the draft, was dominant. Always frustrating watching someone dominante when he's not on you're team. Cabrera hit a ball hard in his final at bat, but he's still not right. Sheff destroyed one foul, but he's not right either. Polanco and Guillen are banged up, things are just getting worse for the Tigers. Granderson looks just about ready though, so even though he said before the game there was no timetable yet, I'd expect him in the next week. At this point, they'll take him with a cast on. Crede and Konerko both hit grand slams. Konerko is fine, don't panic. Crede is almost playing himself out of a trade I'd think. He's been too good to deal away for relief help, although Fields is arguably better than he anyways. The Sox lineup can mash, so I don't think they'll be in dump mode for a while.
Indians 7, A's 1
Man, Cliff Lee has been kind of awesome this year. I don't know how he could be so brutal and bounce back like this, but I'm buying this one. 8 IP, 8 Ks, no BBs, 2 hits? Sure it was against the A's, but those are dominant numbers. He shouldn't have been available at this point, and he definitely won't be now. Gaudin was better than his last start, but I don't love the guy. One guy to watch is David Dellucci. He had that 20 homer year a couple years back and hasn't done much since. If he's going to play regularly, he's worth a pickup. Anything to get Michaels out of the lineup has to be considered a plus.
Rays 6, O's 2
Jeff Niemann is the story here. I didn't go grab him right away, even though I have a slot available after Ryan returned unexpectedly. It was an impressive debut nonetheless. He might have two more starts in him, but I just don't feel too confident that he's ready to succeed, although the 5/1 K/BB suggests otherwise. But I expect many people will pick him up, and the more I think about it he might be worth it, I'm just not expecting any long term value yet. BJ Upton hit his first homer of the year. That probably is a relief for owners. I'd bet he's closer to 20 than 30 homers this year. Evan Longoria is 1-3 with a walk, so that's encouraging. He's got to be up for good now. Ruggiano is interesting. He had a pretty great AAA year with 20 homers, 20 steals, but as far as his prospects for this year, I don't think they're that great. Although anything to get Gomes out of the lineup is good in Joe Maddon's eyes, Ruggiano is in essentially a 4 man battle for 2 spots, and I think he loses out.
White Sox 11, Tigers 0
Not much more to say about this game. I have a theory that the Tigers will heat up with the weather, but that's only based on the fact that they suck and shouldn't and eventually will, and the team is mostly Latino and I guess that makes me a racist. Brandon Inge started behind the plate, and went 0-3 with 2 strikeouts. He's admitted it's effected his hitting, but I don't think he'll get enough looks at catcher to make that much of a difference, you just have to hope he qualifies there. Swisher owners can't like the leading off role for him, and Jerry Owens started his rehab stint today. It looks like Carlos Quentin has a pretty strong hold on the job, but Ownes will get some looks for sure, bumping Swisher down in the order to probably 5.
Royals 5, Twins 1
I don't think anyone can be too surprised that Liriano was pretty rough, it was clear from his rehab starts he wasn't ready, and I don't think he will be for a while. Bench him until he shows you something. Brian Bannister, however, should be starting almost every week the way he's been pitching. Jason Kubel hit 3 for the Twins, which has to bode well for his play time. I actually forgot Miguel Olivo was on the Royals, but he started at DH and was 1-3. With Buck not tearing it up either, he could become of a little use later on.
Jays 5, Rangers 4
BJ Ryan unexpectedly returned (if you listened to the Jays, he still has 3 AAA apperances before he'll be up. Don't ever listen to them apparently) and he picked up the save, although it wasn't in dominating fashion after giving up a leadoff triple and getting three outs in play. He's good for saves, and saves are saves, but there's probably going to be some bumps. Accardo will pick up the odd save, but it's Ryans job clearly. AJ Burnett struggled again, but no panic there. Scott Feldman isn't worth considering, even though he wasn't terrible.
Angels 10, M's 5
Kotchman keeps raking, and I'm officially on the Jeff Mathis and Erik Aybar bandwagons. Juan Rivera got a rare start, it's a shame he's on the Angels (with Reggie Willits) because they could both provide good fantasy value for a team that doesn't add outfielders for fun. Joe Saunders was good again, and I'm starting him in every decent matchup for a while. The M's wouldn't be doing much offensively if it wasn't for the damn Ibanez, he's so hot right now. I wouldn't hesitate to start a pitcher against the M's.
Red Sox 8, Yankees 5
Two pretty unimpressive outings from Phil Hughes and Dice K, with much more worry given to Hughes. I can't imagine he's in jeopardy of losing his job yet, but with him and Ian Kennedy both struggling, I'd imagine one or the other will be moved down eventually. Giambi hit his second home run, accounting for 2 of his 3 hits on the year. Yuck. Ellsbury was back in the leadoff spot, where he should be, and was 1-3, 2 RBI and a SB. Not bad. Of course Coco Crisp was 2-4 with 2 SBs. I don't think we're any closer to resolving the situation. Eventually Crisp has to be traded. Right? The Ortiz Watch gets a rest for today as he was sitting to rest his brain.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment