Thursday, April 3, 2008

4/3 Recap

White Sox 2, Indians 1
This pitching stuff is getting a little crazy. John Danks 6.2 innings 1 ER? Jake Westbrook 7.1 innings 2 ER? I like Westbrook as a sleeper, he seems to be around at the end of most drafts and is worth the pickup. Danks was always a big prospect, but struggled last year. Watch him. I don't expect tons, but he could be servicable. Also, Crede hits a homer, so Fields owners have to be hoping that this boosts his trade value. I'd expect him out of town ASAP, but I really didn't expect him to be with the team at this point either. For the Indians, it's a great sign that VMart pinch hit. All signs point to avoiding the DL, although the next couple games will tell a lot about whether or not he's worth starting. Until then, Shoppach is a solid option.

Royals 4, Tigers 1
When the best and worst team in baseball square off against each other, a sweep isn't that surprising, and the Royals completed it today. I love Zach Greinke. Expect a sub 4 ERA with plenty of Ks. 12-15 wins is possible. I'm thinking about changing the name of the blog to the Gruzielanek blog, the kid continues to rake. Alex Gordon continues on his quest to avenge last year with his second bomb. Also, Joey Gathright picks up a steal in his appempts to provide fantasy value out of the Royals leadoff spot. Jeremy Bonderman has a poor start, not really a great sign for a guy who usually owns the first half. I can't say I recommend him. Inge is in the Crede boat, although I think that Inge will stick with the Tigers this year. They're too fragile. He could get 400 at bats. Speaking of fragile, Gary Sheffield has a torn finger tendon. He says he wants to play through it, but I'd expect a DL stint. It's early, no need to push this, he's too valuble to this team. This bumps Marcus Thames' value up. The guy will approach 20 bombs this year, he has serious power. Sheffield owners can just hang tight here, but you have to assume he wasn't going to make it through the whole year. It wouldn't be so bad if Miggy C wasn't hurting as well. He didn't have a particularly great spring, and his hamtrang problem isn't anything too exciting. These Tigers are a mess.

Angels 5, Twins 4
Someone forgot to tell Ervin Santana he was on the road. He was good, but I don't buy into him yet. Mike Napoli hits another homer, he could get 20 this year. K Krod picked up a shakey save, and has been for a while dating back to the end of last year. The news that he has a bad ankle is not good. Probably nothing, but be careful with him. He could easily end up on the DL at one point or another this year. Jason Kubel hits a homer for the Twins, nothing new here, the guy is for real. It's just a matter of play time, and that could be difficult for a while. And the Carlos Gomez show continues with two more hits. Otherwise, this Twins team has been pretty miserable.

Rays, O's Postponed
The downside here is that Andy Sonnanstine gets bumped from a very favorable start agasint the O's to a terrible start against the Red Sox. If you can still change him out, I would.

Yankees 3, Blue Jays 2
More strong pitching out of Hughes and McGowan, two very highly thought of pitchers for this year. Hughes outpitched him today by the viture of two less walks, but it was basically identical pitching lines otherwise. I expect just about the same out of both this year too. An ERA hovering around 4, good K's, solid WHIP, but more wins for Hughes, although they might be limiting his innings. Really it's a toss up between the two. Matt Stairs got the start, you have to like him if he gets play time, but I don't expect much this year. ARod sucks again, not only did he not homer, but didn't even get a hit. Jason Giambi truely does suck, as he is hitless on the year. I wouldn't start him in almost any league, but hitting 5 for the Yankees has some perks, although I don't expect him there for much longer. Not that Matsui has looked any better. Posada misses another game. This is exactly what I was afraid of when I picked him. Joba got the win, so owners aren't coplaining too much right now. I think he's int he rotation the year, or at least the vast majority.

No comments: