Sunday, April 20, 2008

4/20 Recap

Well it looks like Adam Lind won't be up right away. The Jays are now considering Rod Barajas and Marco Scuatro at DH. That is awful. Sure Stairs and Steward will probably be the biggest beneficiaries, and both a solid options, but this makes the team worse. I dropped Broussard for Lind, and I'll hang onto Lind for a little. Sounds like the neck problem is the thing keeping him down for now. I can't imagine it lasting much longer though. Stay tuned.

Jays 5, Tigers 3
So of course the Jays win, with David Eckstein providiong the power. Go figure. This could be it for Eckstein's power output, so enjoy. The Polanco situatio in Detroit is getting interesting. He returned to Detroit for tests on his back, it looks like he's going to hit the DL. Ryan Raburn will be worth a look, assuming Leyland doesn't do something stupid and start Ramon Santiago. Nate Robertson has been pretty awful this year, but he'll bounce back. I wouldn't start him at this point if possible. Jeremy Accardo stumbled into another save, only because Ryan and Downs weren't available. I don't see him having much impact the rest the year, not the way he's been pitching.

Yankees 7, O's 1
Pettitte was real strong, and I think in line for a pretty good year. I'm a big fan. ARod left the game with an injury, so it's likely Morgan Enseberg will be getting a nice look. He could be worth the short term grab, and potential to get some serious 1B looks soon as Giambi goes 0-3 again. Steve Trachsel won't be worth owning this year. George Sherrill finally got hit, but it wasn't in a save situation. His ERA is now 6.14, but he's going to be pretty good all year, no worries about this.

Red Sox 6, Rangers 5
This game somehow worked out for me a little in the end. I started Wakefield, and not Millwood who was great. The encouraging thing about Millwood is thhe K's came back some. He's worth using against most teams. CJ Wilson was shelled, which was too bad for me, but it gave Wakefield the win, even though he gave up 5 ER over 8 IP. Not a great outing, and didn't deserve a win, but I guess it's the best out of a bad situation. Jacoby Ellsbury has been playing better, stealing two bases and going 2-4. Crisp is expected to return Monday, and I figure he will get the bulk of the play time. And that's David Ortiz going 2-4 with 2 RBI. Good news for everyone. Kinsper and Bradley both hit their first homers of the year. They've been playing pretty well, and the homers will come. Lugo played OF, but that really won't do anything for anyone I imagine.

White Sox 6, Rays 0
Looks like John Danks is going to be the big add tomorrow. He's had three pretty solid starts now. As I talked about his last start, he's a high touted young guy that you can expect some inconsistencies out of, but will sprinkle in performances like this. He's a year or so away from really taking off, but it looks like he's closer than I thought. Get him. Thome homered and was 4-5, so he's fine. .270 with 30 homers is well within reach. Since the Edwin Jackson coming out party, he's beet awful. Can't say I'm surprised. I don't recommend him. Watch the Rays' lineup to see what happens with Dan Johnson. He might be worth grabbing right now.

Twins 2, Indians 1
Two grea outings from Scott Baker and Paul Byrd. It should be no surprise I like Baker a lot more, not only for the K's. He's pretty underrated. Brendan Harris had a great game for the Twins. He's been hitting for average and today added his first homer of the year. He's a solid option at 2B and should be owned in all leagues. Jason Kubel hit 3, so it looks like the Twins finally realize he's one of their three best hitters.

M's 4, Angels 2
I was ripping on Miguel Batista earlier, and he throws a gem this time out. Still not a great play, but I could see him spot starting every now and then. Dustin Moseley can now be dropped. He hasn't looked good at all. Ryan Rowland-Smith picked up his second save, but really chasing these M's saves isn't a great idea. Rowland-Smith might be the best bet now, but even then there are no promises. Richie Sexson hit his 5th homer. People really hate him, but I like him. I think he'll get 30 homers easy, maybe 40.

A's 7, Royals 1
Luke Horchevar's big start didn't go over so well. I don't think he's going to contribute this year. Dana Eveland continues to do well, but the 4/3 walk ratio today isn't encouraging. Santiago Casilla is also worth grabbing as a middle relief option. Callaspo has been pretty hot for the Royals, and could be worth a look. Not really a super option, but at this point he could be worth it. Jack Hannahan has been slow out of the gate after homering in the first game of the year, so it's nice to see him contribute. I like him, but he won't win anybody the league. I'll rank the A's outfielders like this: Sweeney, Brown, Denforia. I like Cust more than any of them, but his struggles are taking away his play time. With Sweeney on the team too, Cust isn't really a great option, but should still be owned. If you do cut him, I guess I can't really blame you.

No comments: